University of Texas at El Paso
Banner
Library
   
     

1914 El Paso Military Institute - Fort Bliss Campus

The school has undergone three name changes since the Texas Legislature awarded El Paso with a four-year institution in 1913 known as the "State School of Mines and Metallurgy." When the school became part of the University of Texas system in 1919, the school's name was changed to "College of Mines and Metallurgy, El Paso."

1949 - College of Mines name changed to Texas Western College of the University of Texas

The name changed to Texas Western College in 1949 and to its present title,

Extension of Engineering Complex

"The University of Texas at El Paso," in 1967.

 

 

   
     

We must presume the nickname "Miners" came from the fact that the school was founded as the "State School of Mines and Metallurgy." In doing research on this project, early mention of "Ore Diggers" and "Muckers" for the nickname was found, but nothing to determine if the name "Miners" was voted upon by the student body, or if a faculty member, John W. (Cap) Kidd, chose the name. Kidd was a big booster of athletics, especially football, and in 1915, when funds were rather lean at the school, Kidd donated $800 to equip the football team.

   
     

Research failed to produce where and why the school selected the colors orange and white. We do know the student body debated in the early 1920s as to whether it would continue with these colors after the school changed its name for the first time. The students voted to keep the colors and in the early 1980s, blue was added so now the official colors are orange, white and blue. When the new UTEP athletic department logo was introduced in the fall of 1999, a darker hue of blue was incorporated into the logo, as well as a silver accent to go with the customary orange.